Travelling seems a world away after a year in lockdown, but with the vaccine rollout going well, ours thoughts have turned to the possibility of a holiday later in the year.
Although Puy du Fou (pronounced “pwee de foo”) is a park with a theme, there are no rides and no tacky merchandise, just pure entertainment in the form of spectacular daytime and evening shows and now, following the 2019 launch of its highly-acclaimed night-time show, ‘El Sueño de Toledo’, Puy du Fou is exporting its unique global concept to Spain and opening a new 30-hectare world of history and nature, its first full-scale park outside France.
From 27 March 2021, visitors to the Toledo Mountains, less than an hour from Madrid in the heart of Spain, will be able to relive some of Spain’s best-known legends and greatest moments in history at the new Puy du Fou España.
The Park features four spectacular shows which each take inspiration from the principal events and people in the history of Spain. With magnificent sets, exceptional staging and mind-blowing special effects and stunts, the shows are guaranteed to leave audiences speechless. Other attractions at the open-air Park include four period villages, home to craftsmen, artisan boutiques and restaurants, and the opportunity to enjoy nature and views across the Toledo Mountains.
At night-fall, visitors take their place in the open-air auditorium, home to the largest stage in Spain and the nocturnal fresco, ‘El Sueño de Toledo’. Launched two years ago, the show has been enormously successful, attracting over 120,000 spectators to a spellbinding journey through 1500 years of history.
With 43 years’ experience of creative expertise, and twice-awarded ‘Best Park in the World’ in the USA, Puy du Fou’s global artistic model continues to serve as a yardstick worldwide. In Spain, Puy du Fou’s trademark creation of historical shows that are both dazzling but poignant, has won the hearts of the Spanish people, opening the way to the development of new shows in the future.
Overnight stays and weekend breaks
Combine a trip to Puy du Fou España with a visit to the fascinating city of Toledo. Puy du Fou España offers inclusive packages (hotel + park entry) at a selection of local hotels, including an atmospheric boutique hotel, set in a former 17th century bakery, in the heart of Toledo’s historic Jewish quarter. Fly to Madrid.
Park highlights – take a trip through the history of Spain in a day
Four shows carry the Park’s visitors on a journey through time, enhanced by special effects and Puy du Fou’s unique expertise.
– El Ultimo Cantar (The Last Song): a grand scale 360˚ show, set in the 11th century, that follows the incredible exploits and epic tale of ‘El Cid’, Don Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar.
– A Pluma y Espada (By Feather and Sword): Enjoy a light-hearted swash-buckling adventure featuring Spain’s Golden Age poet, Lope de Vega.
– Cetrería de Reyes (Falconry of the Kings): Set in the year 939, a truce between the Count Fernán González of Castile and the Caliph takes the unusual form of a duel of falcons and an aerial dance performed by hundreds of birds of prey.
– Allende la Mar Océana (On the Other Side of the Ocean): Embark on an epic immersive naval experience with Christopher Columbus in 1492, departing from the port of Palos and setting sail across an unexplored ocean towards the west.
In between shows, take a leisurely stroll through four period villages, watch craftsmen at work and browse artisan workshops:
– El Arrabal: Stroll through the medieval market in front of the Puerta del Sol where stallholders prepare traditional Spanish food in surroundings inspired by the 13th century.
– La Puebla Real: Wander through the narrow streets of this 13th century stone-walled village, watch embroiderers and potters at work, and visit the art studios around La Plaza de los Maestros.
– La Venta de Isidro: Learn about rural life in the Middle Ages in Spain and taste the fresh cheese and vegetables resulting from the cultivation of the land.
– El Askar Andalusí: Breathe in the scent of honey and almonds and experience daily life in the colourful surroundings of an authentic Moorish camp.
2021 season runs from 27 March to 1 November 2021. Park tickets cost €41/€34 (adult/child) inclusive of park entry, all shows and tickets to the night-time ‘El Sueño de Toledo’.
Overnight stays – €230 per family (2 adults, 2 children), including an overnight B&B stay at a traditional hotel in the heart of Toledo, park entry, all shows and tickets to the night-time ‘El Sueño de Toledo’.
Getting there: Puy du Fou España is situated on the outskirts of Toledo, just 55 minutes by car from Madrid. Find out more at www.puydufou.com/espana/en