50 places before 50!
I have seen quite a few people take the number challenge before a big birthday, on a quest to achieve a bucketlist of challenges.
I have to admit, the idea wasn’t really for me, until I spotted a friend on facebook doing the challenge in a slightly different way.
Travelling is something I have enjoyed doing since I was a child, but as an adult it was something that was very much put on the back burner, as all our funds went on raising our family.
In recent years, we have been lucky to reignite our passion for travel as a family and have visited some amazing places both home and away including Lapland, the Lake District, Angus, Florida, Italy, Spain, France, Turkey and Portugal.
I have been determined to knock some places of my must-visit list and as it is 6 years until my next big birthday, I have decided to give myself a target of visiting 50 places before I hit the big 5-0!
50 places before 50
- Visit Iceland – in particular the Golden Circle and Reynisfjara Black Sand Beach
- Cruise through the Norwegian Fjords
- Take the Jacobite Steam Train over the Glenfinnan viaduct
- Climb Mount Snowdon (or cheat and get the train)
- Ride the Velocity Zip Wire, North Wales
- Walk along Hadrian’s Wall
- Visit Windsor Castle
- Explore Las Vegas
- Take a helicopter ride through the Grand Canyon
- Go looking for the Loch Ness Monster
- Climb the Eiffel Tower and see the Catacombs in Paris
- Go Punting in Cambridge
- Visit the Royal Palace in Madrid
- See the statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building, New York
- Visit Hogsmeade at Universal Studios
- Go flightseeing in Alaska
- Drive over the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco
- Go whale watching
- See the geysers in Yellowstone National Park
- Visit the Giants Causeway
- See the glowing Waitomo Caves, New Zealand
- Climb Mount Etna
- Walk the Jurassic Coast
- Explore the Isle of Skye
- Visit the Peak District
- Explore York
- Head to Doune Castle in central Scotland
- See the annual Up Helly Aa fire festival in the Shetland Islands
- Visit the Houses of Parliament
- Visit Tintagel Castle, Cornwall
- See the Changing of the Guard / Trooping of the colour ceremony
- Visit the Royal Observatory, Greenwich
- Climb the O2
- Discover Shakespears Stratford
- Go twitching on Lundy Island
- Explore the Isles of Scily
- Visit Kings Landing – Dubrovnik, Croatia
- Go to the Robin Hood Festival in Sherwood Forest
- Explore Cheddar Gorge
- Walk across the Carrick-a-rede Rope-way Bridge
- Visit the LEGO House in Billund, Denmark
- See the Berlin Wall and Brandenburg Gate
- Ride in a gondola in Venice
- See the Victoria Falls and go on Safari
- Visit Caernarfon Castle
- Go broomstick training at Alnwick Castle
- See Kynren
- Take a helicopter flight over Poole Harbour
- Visit the Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen at Christmas
- Ride the arcelormittal orbit slide
What do you think of my list – what would you add?